Monday, February 27, 2012

A Man Smitten

Warning:  Those of you with a salacious bent use caution because this post is not what it first seems.



Meal times here don't match my habits.

So I've been the only customer in a restaurant many times.

Hungry on Friday, about 6pm. Lucciano's, next door, is open. Gracias a Dios for Italian food.

Two chefs, a host, two waiters and no customers but me and a woman smoking a cigarette in a restaurant.

Illegal in Ecuador. She doesn't care because she owns the place.

She asks, in broken English, if I mind. I say the word for “that's cool” which I
can't spell but it's pronounced “chevrre”. It was stupid of me but I want to practice cool Spanish.

“Yo quiero pizza con chorizo individuale” I say. The crew snaps to. A Cuba Libre while I wait.

The woman asks my nationality and then tells me that she wants to practice her dormant English. My Spanish is on the same level so we commence a very very slow interaction.

She smokes 3 cigarettes a day to alleviate her stress. She works a full time job while managing this restaurant. Long days.

Her name is Guadalupe and she is the most strikingly beautiful classically Spanish woman I have ever seen.

I am uncomfortable. Culture and loyalty to my wife. Latin American openness is new to me.

She talks about California. There were still no customers.

No hint of arrogance. In fact, she shows no realization how she affects others.


Here is Guadalupe's tale.

Visiting her sister in San Francisco for 45 days she was enthralled with the city, the area and Lake Tahoe.

Her last week included a party thrown by the Silicone Valley company of her sister's American husband.

She was approached by a man muy guapo (very handsome). He spoke then produced an official law enforcement badge. This terrified her.

He said that she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. He knew that she was in the states for a short time and he wished to see her again.

She declined then moved closer to her relatives. He followed.

Frightened again.

Her sister's husband said that the man is the sheriff of San Mateo Country and is very important. This scared her more.

The sheriff persisted. He could ensure immigration. He wanted to marry her.

Just stay. She said no over and over citing her husband and children in Ecuador. He was not deterred.

The following morning, two days before her departure, a small helicopter landed in the cul-de-sac in front of her sister's house. It was the sheriff. Guadalupe, her sister and brother-in-law were equally baffled.

It was a tour, the sheriff said, that's all. The family agreed that it would be safe and a one-in-a-life-time experience.

She said an “experience of beauty.”

Then Guadalupe returned to her family in Ecuador.


My pizza's ready. Lucciano himself brings it. Everyone hugs me and wishes me luck on my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment